ADVENTURES IN NORDIC MUSIC
In the Spring of 2016 my new solo album LOOK UP was released in Finland! The album contains a variety of songs inspired by my Finnish heritage, presented in rock, pop, and Americana formats.
In October of 2016 I'll be touring in Finland, including a performance at the Lost In Music Festival in Tampere.
I look forward to connecting with audiences, festivals, radio, and media outlets across the Nordic countries!
Email me at email@example.com to inquire about booking, airplay, and licensing in Europe.
I've experimented with Nordic music and performed in Finland and Sweden since 2000. Recently I've enjoyed opportunities to explore my Finnish-American identity more deeply.
I've spent from 2010 to 2013 touring North America with the Finnish-American instrumental folk duo KAIVAMA. We released our self-titled debut album in 2011 and collaborated with Finnish fiddler extraordinaire Arto Järvelä for our follow-up recording. The trio album Arto Järvelä & Kaivama was released in Europe in 2013 and was nominated for Folk Music Album of the Year 2013 by the Finnish Central Committee of Folk Music and Dance, Kansanmusiikki.
Before my immersion via Kaivama in the acoustic, instrumental pelimanni tradition, I performed in Finland and Sweden as a pop/rock artist. In 2009 I co-wrote a song with my cousin Carl-Kristian Rundman, "Lanka (The Thread)."
Carl-Kristian wrote the Finnish lyrics, I wrote the music, and I recorded the song featuring vocalists from the group Saana Ensemble.
Finns are familiar with Carl-Kristian's acting appearances in theater, TV, and film, including his lead role in the hit MTV3 television drama Helppo Elämä. Carl-Kristian highlighted the song during a guest appearance on Radio Suomi. Below is a SoundCloud link for "Lanka (The Thread)," and other Nordic music I've recorded.
NORDIC VENUES / EVENTS
Here are some places I've performed:
- TEMPPELIAUKIO KIRKKO, Helsinki, Finland
- BAR MENDOCINO, Helsinki, Finland
- DEBASER (MONDO), Stockholm, Sweden
- KLUBI (SÄÄTÄMÖ), Turku, Finland
- JYVÄSKYLÄN PAVILJONKI, Jyväskylä, Finland
- PET SOUNDS (HANNAS KROG), Stockholm, Sweden
- SAUNABAR, Helsinki, Finland
- PARISH HALL, Saarijarvi, Finland
- FINLANDIA UNIVERSITY, Hancock, MI
- AMERICAN SWEDISH INSTITUTE, Minneapolis, MN
- SWEDISH CULTURAL CENTER, Seattle, WA
- MINISTRY FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS OF FINLAND profiled Kaivama in their thisisFinland publication
- HUOMENTA SUOMI (GOOD MORNING FINLAND) television program features Kaivama in a segment about Finnish Americans in Michigan's Upper Peninsula
- MUSIC FINLAND album review
- NBC TELEVISION KARE 11 Minneapolis interview
- MINNESOTA PUBLIC RADIO interview
- LAKELAND PUBLIC TELEVISION interview
- CHICAGO READER concert preview
- STAR TRIBUNE Minneapolis concert preview for 2013 Kaivama / Polka Chicks performance
- STAR TRIBUNE Minneapolis concert preview for 2012 Kaivama / Arto Järvelä performance
- STAR TRIBUNE Minneapolis concert preview for 2011 Kaivama / Frigg performance
- PIONEER PRESS Minneapolis concert preview for 2011 Kaivama / Arto Järvelä performance
- MPLS.ST.PAUL.MAGAZINE article
- IOWA CITY PRESS CITIZEN concert preview
- CITY PAGES Minneapolis interview
- EDINA MAGAZINE interview
- DULUTH READER feature article
- DULUTH NEWS TRIBUNE feature article
- RIVER CITIES READER interview
- ST. PETER HERALD interview
- NO DEPRESSION album review
- HOW WAS THE SHOW concert review
- GREEN MAN REVIEW album review
- HEARTH MUSIC album review
- INSIDE WORLD MUSIC album review
- FOLKING album review
- PACIFIC NORTHWEST FOLKLORE SOCIETY article
- HIBBING DAILY TRIBUNE article
- UCC NEWS album review
- NOISE MAGAZINE review of my 2004 album Public Library