JONATHAN RUNDMAN NEWS ARCHIVES
CLICK HERE to return to current news
- KAIVAMA to tour the West Coast this month!
Jonathan and Sara will perform in Tacoma, WA; Astoria, OR; Eugene, OR; Redding, CA; Berkeley, CA; Fresno, CA; and the Los Angeles area in April. Upon their return they'll be performing in Minneapolis on April 23rd. View their schedule and venue links at the concert dates page.
- More Radio Airplay!
Jonathan's song "Front Row at the Fashion Show" was featured on KXLL radio in Alaska in March, and Kaivama was played on KSER in Seattle, WA and KMUN in Astoria, OR! Thanks as always for the airplay!
- Book Jonathan in your town!
Jonathan is touring solo and with Kaivama in the Spring and Summer, and there are some open dates on the calendar. Here are some available dates and locations:
Friday, May 13th: Wisconsin
Friday, June 3rd: Southern Wisconsin
June 12, 14, 16: MN, WI, IA
July 27, 28: Seattle, Northern WA
Contact and booking info at the BOOKING page.
- New music video on YouTube!
Jonathan & Bruce Rundman perform the song "The Sound of the Cicadas" back in 2001: see it HERE
Subscribe to Jonathan's YouTube Channel, and subscribe to the Kaivama YouTube Channel!
- FREE MP3 for April: "Imperfection (early mix)"
Mixed by Micah Taylor, this is a previously unreleased first draft of the recording that would eventually appear on the 2008 album Insomniaccomplishments. Download the MP3 at the Audio Page.
Jonathan to tour the West Coast in April with Finnish-American folk band KAIVAMA!
Jonathan and Sara have finished recording their forthcoming debut album, and will release the CD later this Spring! Kaivama will tour the West Coast in April and are booking shows around the country! Check out the Kaivama webpage to learn about the duo and view their schedule at the concert dates page.
- New music videos on YouTube!
More new and various clips posted this month!
Kaivama plays "Røros" in Minneapolis: see it HERE
Jonathan performs "Castles" with Beki Hemingway way back in 2001: see it HERE
Jonathan & Bruce Rundman perform the Julie Miller song "Broken Things" back in 2001: see it HERE
Subscribe to Jonathan's YouTube Channel, and subscribe to the Kaivama YouTube Channel!
- FREE MP3 for January: "Liberty Island"
Mixed by Mark LaForest of the band Flincho, this song is co-written with cousin Bruce Rundman! Read songwriting details at Jonathan's blog and then download the MP3 at the Audio Page.
- Jonathan performing and recording with Finnish-American folk band KAIVAMA!
Jonathan and Sara are wrapping up final recording for their forthcoming debut album! Kaivama will tour the West Coast in April and are booking shows around the country! Check out the Kaivama webpage to learn about the duo and view their schedule at the concert dates page.
- Interesting performance dates on the calendar!
Jonathan will perform with Kaivama at the Acadia Cafe in Minneapolis, as well as at a benefit show for Swedish fiddler Joel Bremer, along with local heroes like Dan Israel and the legendary Slim Dunlap of The Replacements! Jonathan will play solo shows as well, including a concert in dialogue with Dr. Dawn Rundman as she shares insights on Valentines Day, theology, and brain science. Info at the TOUR DATES page.
- New Jonathan music videos on YouTube!
The librarians in Fayetteville, NY produced an amazing video for Jonathan's song "Librarian"...watch it HERE! Also, just uploaded, vintage concert footage of Jonathan and an all-star band playing "I Love You With All of My Mind," as well as a solo performance of "Meeting Nixon" live in Sweden! See these videos at Jonathan's YouTube Channel, and subscribe!
- Kaivama featured again on "Suomi Kutsuu" television show!
Carl Pellonpaa, host of "Suomi Kutsuu (Finland Calling)" on WLUC TV6 in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, will feature Kaivama's recording of "K.F. Lundgren's Waltz" on his January 30th program.
CLICK HERE to stream the program, and watch for Kaivama at 45:42.
- Kaivama performs live on KFAI radio!
Tune in KFAI online to hear Jonathan & Sara appear in-studio on the January 24th broadcast! Kaivama plays two songs in the studio and gives a couple previews from their forthingcoming debut album!
- FREE MP3 for January: remix of "Local Road"
Remixed by drummer Andy Deitrich, this song from the Sound Theology album gets a fresh arrangement! Read songwriting details at Jonathan's blog and then download the MP3 at the Audio Page.
- Jonathan performing and recording with Finnish-American folk band KAIVAMA!
Jonathan and Sara returned to the stage in November for the Nordic Lights Film Festival in Minneapolis, and look forward to other local shows in December. Multiple songs for their 2011 debut CD have now been recorded! Check out the Kaivama webpage to learn about the duo and view their schedule at the concert dates page.
- Download Jonathan's Music at iTunes this Christmas
Check out Jonathan's solo albums HERE as well as his special duet Christmas album Present with Beki Hemingway!
- Another Kaivama concert video on YouTube!
CLICK HERE to see a performance of an original fiddle tune medley recorded live at Washington Auditorium in Ely, MN. Sara's "Joulukuun Sotiisi" ("December Schottische") merges with Jonathan's "Rippikoululaisten Tanssi" (which you might be familiar with as "Dance of the Confirmands" from the Sound Theology album). Also, check out the Kaivama YouTube Channel, and subscribe!
- Kaivama video shown on "Suomi Kutsuu" television show!
Carl Pellonpaa, host of "Suomi Kutsuu (Finland Calling)" on WLUC TV6 in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, featured Jonathan & Sara on his November 28th program. CLICK HERE to stream the program, and watch for Kaivama at 51:30.
- Jonathan was an in-studio guest on KFAI radio "Watercolors" show!
Tune in KFAI online to hear Jonathan appear in-studio! He talks about his work with Kaivama and their upcoming appearance at the History Theater in St. Paul for the Sample Night Live show, and shares the new recording of "Chicago Waltz!
- FREE MP3 for November/December: full-band version of "December Chicago"
Jonathan unveils this never-before-heard full-band version of one of his weirder and proggier tunes. A timely reflection on urban living and Winter weather. Check it out at the Audio Page.
- Jonathan records and schedules more performances with Finnish-American folk band KAIVAMA!
In mid-October, Jonathan and Sara recorded the first song for their forthcoming debut album! In addition to their work in the studio, Kaivama is excited to return to the stage in November with performances at the Nordic Lights Film Festival, and other venues in Minnesota. Check out their schedule at the concert dates page.
- Another Kaivama concert video on YouTube!
CLICK HERE to see a performance of Sara's original fiddle tune "Cross Country" recorded live at Kaleva Hall in Virginia, MN. Also, check out the Kaivama YouTube Channel, and subscribe!
- Jonathan writes article for Journal of Lutheran Ethics
The October issue of the Journal of Lutheran Ethics features an essay written by Jonathan about use of media and intellectual property. Read it online here!
- SOUND THEOLOGY album turns 10!
That's right, it was way back in October of 2000 when Jonathan's epic 52-song double-CD was released to the media! This is the project that introduced Jonathan to a national audience. If you haven't plumbed the depths of this giant album, order yours HERE. This album is nearly out-of-print, so get a copy before they're gone!
- Interview with Jonathan in The Mining Journal!
Jonathan spoke with journalist Renee Prusi about his childhood in Upper Michigan and his career as a touring artist, as well as a stay-home parent. Check out this feature article from the October 16th issue of The Mining Journal.
- FREE MP3 for October: new recording of Ishpeming anthem "581"
Jonathan traveled to his homeland, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, in mid-October for a rocking full-band show in Marquette. In honor of his return to the U.P., Jonathan has posted a brand new recording of his song "581," written about the county road running South from his hometown of Ishpeming. Check it out at the Audio Page. Read details about the recording process at Jonathan's BLOG.
- Book Jonathan in your town!
Jonathan still has some flexible dates before the end of 2010. If you live in the Midwest, it's not too late to schedule Jonathan for a concert in your area, Nov 12-14, or December 3-5. And in 2011 there are many available dates! Check out Jonathan's Contact Page for locations and availability. See you on the road!
- Jonathan plays shows with new Finnish folk band KAIVAMA!
Jonathan and Sara perfomed a series of theater and auditorium concerts in August and were met with rave reviews. More dates are lining up for the Fall and Winter, so stay tuned to the concert dates page.
- Another Kaivama concert video on YouTube!
CLICK HERE to see a performance of Jonathan's original fiddle tune "Rynkö" recorded live at Washington Auditorium in Ely, MN.
- In-depth interview with Jonathan published!
Canadian writer Doug Peterson conducted a detailed interview with Jonathan earlier this Summer, as part of a series of conversations with songwriters (including David Bazan of Pedro The Lion). Read the piece at Doug's blog.
- FREE MP3 for September: Jonathan's version of Lisa Germano's song "Guessing Game (or The Music Business)."
Songwriter and session instrumentalist Lisa Germano has been one of Jonathan's heroes since high school. Way back in 1999 Jonathan purchased a digital minidisc 4-track recorder and tested it out by recording this version of Lisa's song. Check it out at the Audio Page. Read details about the recording process at Jonathan's BLOG.
- See Jonathan out on the road this Fall!
Jonathan will perform in the Seattle-area, Michigan's Upper Peninsula, Wisconsin, Chicago, and a private show in Denver in October! Check out the Tour Dates page for dates, times, and venues!
- FREE MP3 for August: new "The Sound of the Cicadas" remix by Mark LaForest.
Twin Cities guitar hero Mark LaForest has arranged and produced his own version of Jonathan's song "The Sound of the Cicadas."
Check out Mark LaForest's acoustic-prog band Flincho, here at MySpace.
Iowa songwriter Richard Bruxvoort-Colligan has also created a remix of "Cicadas." Details at Jonathan's BLOG.
- Jonathan joins new instrumental Finnish folk band KAIVAMA and wins audience award, tours MN, etc.!
Jonathan has teamed up with virtuoso fiddler Sara Pajunen and formed an acoustic duo to perform Nordic folk music.
Kaivama will tour Northern Minnesota in August, performing at the Washington Auditorium in Ely and Kaleva Hall in Virginia, returning to Minneapolis to play for the Walker Art Center's Open Field event! Details at the Tour Dates page!
Kaivama performed at the August show of Sample Night Live at the History Theater in St. Paul and WON the audience favorite award!
That means that Jonathan & Sara are invited to play for December's Best of the year show! Stay tuned for show details!
View a YouTube video of Kaivama performing "Røros" at Sample Night live! Check it out HERE.
- Jonathan to perform in Lutheran Songs Today all-star concert at Luther Seminary on August 20th!
Jonathan will join Lutheran songwriters Eric Wefald, Peder Eide, Cathy Pino, Dakota Road, Richard Bruxvoort-Colligan, and Agape for a performance in celebration of the Lutheran Songs Today CD and songbook series.
- Jonathan's song "Smart Girls" featured on the Local Music Spotlight at Target Field during the July 15th Minnesota Twins game!
The song was played a few minutes before the first pitch, with Jonathan's name on the JumboTron screen, and AGAIN before the 3rd inning! Thanks to the Twins for supporting Minnesota music!
- FREE MP3 for July: "Forgiveness Waltz" duet, live in concert by Beki Hemingway & Jonathan Rundman.
Jonathan and Beki are pleased to present this previously unreleased concert recording, from their 2004 performance at the Paste Magazine Stage at Cornerstone Festival.
Visit the audio page to download the free MP3!
ALSO, see Jonathan & Beki perform this month at the DuPage County Fair in Chicagoland, as well as a special show in Wisconsin. Details at the Tour Dates page!
- Jonathan joins new instrumental Finnish folk band KAIVAMA and makes a grand debut last month!
Jonathan has teamed up with virtuoso fiddler Sara Pajunen and formed an acoustic duo to perform Nordic folk music.
Kaivama headlined the Finn Fest in Frederick, SD, in June, and returned to Minneapolis to play at The Beat in Uptown.
CLICK HERE to read an article about the band from the Aberdeen, SD, newspaper.
KAIVAMA VIDEO! See the live performance clip of "Polska Bromarvista" on YouTube!
Kaivama performed live on the air on Aberdeen radio station KABD 107.7 FM. View a YouTube video of their radio appearance here.
Kaivama were featured on South Dakota Public Broadcasting's "On The Record" program on June 19th, along with Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney! Listen to the program here!
- New song "Hymn for Fortune Lake" available for FREE download, and featured in June issue of The Lutheran magazine!
Jonathan was commissioned to write a hymn in honor of the 80th anniversary of Fortune Lake Lutheran Camp in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. CLICK HERE to visit the Fortune Lake webpage and download a free MP3 of the song, as well as sheet music!
The current issue of The Lutheran magazine features Jonathan's new song in their cover story! Click here to read it online!
- Jonathan has a new band! KAIVAMA, a Finnish-American folk duo.
See the live performance video of "K. F. Lundgren's Waltz" on YouTube!
If you live in Finland, you can tune in to the Lira folk music show on YLE Radio Vega to hear new music from Kaivama!
- Jonathan played on nationally syndicated radio show!
The radio program UNDER THE RADAR featured Jonathan, along with other artists such as David Wilcox and Over The Rhine. Download the podcast of the episode here.
- New promotional posters for 2010!
Download 11X17 and 8.5X11 sizes at Jonathan's Press Kit page.
- Jonathan works with Beki Hemingway on new TENNESOTA album!
Beki and Jonathan have been writing brand new songs for a new album as Tennesota. The duo has performed a few shows in Colorado in recent months, and continues to collaborate on new music.
This month Beki came to Minnesota to record tracks for their upcoming new album.
CLICK HERE to view an acoustic performance video of the new song "No More Old Times," and stay tuned until 1:50 when the video offers a sneak peek into the studio recording session for the song!
If you've yet to purchase the first Tennesota album, which Beki & Jonathan released back in 2004, you'd better act soon. As of now, there are only 30 copies of this CD left in stock, with no plans to reorder. BUY IT HERE for $12.
- Jonathan and Beki to perform at the DuPage County Fair in Chicagoland!
Jonathan Rundman and Beki Hemingway have been booked to play solo and duo sets on July 22 and 23! Stay tuned for specific stage and time info!
- AVAILABLE tour dates for 2010.
Visit the Booking page to see where Jonathan is traveling in the coming year, and when it might work for him to play a concert in your area! States on the schedule so far include MN, WI, MI, ND, NE, CO, and KS.
- FREE MP3 download of new version of "The Sound Of The Cicadas"!
Iowa-based songwriter Richard Bruxvoort-Colligan has arranged and produced his own version of Jonathan's song "The Sound of the Cicadas" (featuring harmony vocals by Salt Lady Records cofounder Bruce Rundman).
Are you a musician and/or a home recording enthusiast? You're invited to try arranging this song yourself! Download a drum track and a vocal track (in .wav format) of Jonathan's song, and then you can add your own instruments and mix it yourself! Details at Jonathan's BLOG.
- Another YouTube video: "Ashes"
This song from Jonathan's Sound Theology album was used as the basis for a cool seasonal music video by Eric from Nashville. Watch it HERE.
- More recent press coverage: Jonathan got a shout-out in the March issue of Christian Century magazine for his song "Hey Hey Samuel." Click here to read the article, along with reviews of other bands like Kutless and Matthew Sweet!
- Jonathan on tour in FINLAND this month, with a stop in London as well!
This month Jonathan will travel to his ancestral homeland for concerts in the towns of Saarijärvi, Jyväskylä, and Helsinki. Then on the way back to the USA he'll stop in London to play selections from the Heartland Liturgy. Details at the Tour Dates page.
- FREE MP3 download of "Lanka (The Thread)," Jonathan's first Finnish-language song. With music by Jonathan and lyrics by Carl-Kristian Rundman, this song is brilliantly sung by guest vocalists Elina, Elina, and Ulla of Minnesota-based vocal group Saana Ensemble. Download it at the Audio Page.
- YouTube features Jonathan and band performing the King's X song "Mississippi Moon." This audience video was captured during Jonathan's November show at The Beat in Minneapolis. Watch it HERE.
- Jonathan's song "Librarian" featured in British musical! Director Scott Tomkins included "Librarian" in his library drama "By The Book" performed in December at the Stanwix Studio Theatre at the University of Cumbria in Carlisle, England. Interview here.
- Jonathan's song "I'm Alive And Sleep Deprived" in the Top Ten of the Top 100 Sleep Songs as rated by the National Sleep Foundation! Jonathan joins other bands like Eels, Mettalica, and Imogen Heap at the top of this list of sleep-related tunes! View the list and cast your vote for Jonathan!
- Jonathan to perform at Finnish Christmas show in Minnesota. Jonathan will be a guest musician at the annual Kauneimmat Joululaulut (Service of Finnish Christmas Carols) at St. Michael's Lutheran Church in Roseville, MN, on December 19th.
- YouTube features recent live performance of "No More Walls." This audience video was captured during Jonathan and band's November show at The Beat in Minneapolis. Watch it HERE.
- YouTube features recent live performance of "Continental Divide." This audience video was captured during Jonathan and band's show at The Beat in Minneapolis in August. See it and read the details at Jonathan's blog.
- FREE MP3 download: a new version of "German Flag."
Jonathan has posted a new version of his geopolitical love song "German Flag" to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. The earliest version of the song appeared on the 1994 album Wherever. This new recording features excellent drumming by long-time Jonathan collaborator Lowell Michelson. Read song details and lyrics at Jonathan's blog, and download the MP3 at the Audio Page.
- Jonathan's tour schedule includes some special stops!
Upcoming locations for Jonathan concerts include the Washington DC area, Birmingham, Alabama, and the country of Finland! Details and links at the Tour Dates page.
- FREE MP3 for download: the live duet with Beki Hemingway "Easy Chair."
Recorded at Cornerstone Festival in 2004 in support of Beki & Jonathan's duet album Tennesota! Hear it at the Audio Page!
- BEKI HEMINGWAY and Jonathan Rundman to perform concerts together! Minnesota residents can check out dates here.
- YouTube features recent live performance of "Librarian." This audience video was captured during Jonathan and band's show at The Beat in Minneapolis last month. See it here!
- "Librarian" featured on Wisconsin Public Radio!
Jonathan's bibliotechnical anthem was featured on the October 2nd WPR morning show, during a discussion of the Wisconsin Book Festival.
- Jonathan is guest musician on the new album from Nate Houge!
Fellow Twin Cities-based liturgist Nate Houge has just released his newest album Becoming Liturgy! This excellent collection of new acoustic churchmusic features musical guests Rachel Kurtz, Micah Taylor, and Justin Rimbo. Jonathan Rundman contributes accordion, melodica, and background vocals. ORDER THE ALBUM HERE!
- Jonathan's song "Minneapolis" featured on television broadcast of PGA Tour!
As Tiger Woods and company swung their clubs in Minnesota for August's PGA Tour, the TV broadcast used Jonathan's song "Minneapolis" as transition music!
- FREE MP3 for download: Jonathan's version of the Styx classic "Come Sail Away."
Courtesy of the awesome music blog Cover Lay Down, specializing in acoustic cover tunes. Available for a limited time! More details at Jonathan's blog.
- Lutheran media highlights the Rundmans. The current issue of Lutheran Partners magazine features an article by Dr. Dawn Rundman, and the current issue of national newspaper Seeds For The Parish mentions Jonathan in a piece on Lutheran bloggers! Details and links at Jonathan's blog.
- Jonathan appears on Upper Michigan radio station!
WFXD radio in Marquette, MI featured Jonathan as in-studio guest for the July 15th local music show. In addition to the on-air interview, Jonathan served as a judge for the Colgate Country Showdown singing competition, sponsored by the radio station. Look out Simon Cowell! Read details at Jonathan's blog.
- Jonathan's song "Librarian" featured in new book The Librarian's Book Of Quotes!
Jonathan's appearances in literature continue this month!
This insightful new book includes the lyrics to Jonathan's acclaimed song "Librarian," as well as other quotes about the library from notable folks like Ray Bradbury, William Shakespeare, Carl Sagan, Victor Hugo, Mark Twain and Bill Moyers.
- Jonathan to perform in Finland in 2010!
Jonathan will return to his ancestral homeland in January to perform at the parish worker's convention for the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland. Stay tuned for other dates/venues in Finland, and perhaps Sweden as well! Visit Jonathan's contact/booking page to set up a concert in the Nordic countries, or anywhere else in Europe.
- ELCA Churchwide events feature Jonathan.
Last month Jonathan performed at the Lutheran Youth Gathering in New Orleans, and this month Jonathan will play at the Goodsoil Celebration during the Churchwide Assembly in Minneapolis. For more details, and additional concert dates around the country, visit the tour page.
- FREE MP3 for download: the live duet with Beki Hemingway "You Never Last Where You Land."
Recorded at Cornerstone Festival in 2004 in support of Beki & Jonathan's duet album Tennesota! Hear it at the Audio Page!
- YouTube features vintage live performance of "The Princess Wants to Spend Her Time With Me." This fan favorite was performed by Jonathan in 1999. See it here!
- Jonathan's Insomniaccomplishments CD reviewed in recent issue of CHRISTIAN CENTURY magazine!
Jonathan's newest CD received a great review in this respected theology magazine, along with the new releases by U2 and Billy Bragg. Special props are given to the songs "If You Have A Question" and "I Thought You Were Mine." CLICK HERE to read the review!
- July performances scheduled in Michigan's Upper Peninsula!
Jonathan was born in Hancock, MI, and raised in Ishpeming, MI, and this July he'll be performing in both towns! Details at the Tour Dates page.
- In-depth interview, and record review online:
One of Jonathan's most extensive and personal interviews has been published by the interfaith online magazine Killing the Buddha...check it out here! Also, Jonathan's new CD received a nice review at DAGGER, an online music 'zine. Click here and scroll down to read.
- FREE MP3 for download: the BRAND NEW song "Flying On A Plane."
Steaming hot and fresh from Jonathan's brain, this 3-track demo was written and recorded just days ago! Hear this rockin' song about technology at the Audio Page!
- YouTube features vintage live performance of "Johnny Horton." Another song about Ishpeming, MI, this version of "581" was performed by Jonathan in 1999. See it here!
- Jonathan appears on nationally syndicated radio show GRACE MATTERS!
Jonathan was interviewed by host Peter Marty and some of Jonathan's songs were featured! Previous guests on this show include best selling author Jim Wallis, CBS News' Charles Osgood, and Emily Saliers of the Indigo Girls! The show aired in March but is now available for free download: CLICK HERE for show info.
- Out-of-print copies of Jonathan's RECITAL album available while supplies last!
A recent trip to the Salt Lady Records archives in Upper Michigan have uncovered 10 copies of Jonathan's 1997 album Recital! This album has been out-of-print an unavailable since 2001! Here's your chance to order this lost classic. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve one of these CDs for $15. First come, first served.
- More good press for INSOMNIACCOMPLISHMENTS:
Jonathan's new CD received a nice review at the music blog PowerPopaholic...CLICK TO READ IT HERE. It's good to be associated with Neil Young, Marshall Crenshaw, and Nick Lowe!
- FREE MP3 for download: the BRAND NEW song "Robert Traver Blues."
For the very first time, the Audio Page features a NEW song that has not yet appeared on album! This song was written and recorded in Ishpeming, MI on December 27, 2008, and its lyrics describe author Robert Traver and other natives of Ishpeming who have had significant impact on American culture. 2009 is the 50th anniversary of the film "Anatomy of a Murder," shot on location in Ishpeming, and based on the novel by Robert Traver.
- YouTube features vintage live performance of "581." Another song about Ishpeming, MI, this version of "581" was performed by Jonathan and his band in 1999. This is never-before-seen, newly unearthed video footage! Check out the YouTube video and read details here!
- Jonathan's song "Meeting Nixon" included in new book REINVENTING RICHARD NIXON!
Author Daniel Frick has recently released this book, subtitled "A Cultural History of an American obsession."
A section of the book called "Nixon in Music and Comedy," features Jonathan and his song "Meeting Nixon" along with some legendary rock recordings that also mention Tricky Dick, including "Ohio" by Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young; "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd; "Gimme Some Truth" by John Lennon; and "We Didn't Start The Fire" by Billy Joel.
ORDER FROM AMAZON.
- Jonathan to perform at LIFEST in OshKosh, WI in July!
The Lifest Music Festival in OshKosh, WI has been one of Jonathan's favorite annual events for the past 10 years. In July of 2009 Jonathan will perform again at Lifest, along with other artists like Peder Eide, David Crowder, and Toby Mac.
- CONCERTS IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST!
Jonathan returns to his '90s-era homeland with shows in Eugene and Seattle this month! Details at the TOUR DATES page.
- FREE MP3 posted on the Audio Page. Download a tasty full-band live version of "Cold, But I Don't Mind" recorded one year ago. Perfect for these chilly nights!
- More good press coverage!
The Phantom Tollbooth gives Jonathan's new CD 4.5 stars and says it could be his "best original album."
And Jonathan gets a shout-out in Worchester Magazine for his contribution to the Lutheran Songs Today compilation album!
- Jonathan's song "THIS JULY" on new CD, recorded by Ben Durbin's Modern Antiques!
Ben Durbin, a native of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and leader of Americana band Ben Durbin's Modern Antiques has released a new album called Sweet Precious Time. The CD features a rocking cover version of Jonathan's song "This July" with incredible banjo picking! ORDER IT!
- JONATHAN'S NEW ALBUM RELEASED!
Jonathan's new CD Insomniaccomplishments was released nationally in December! Order here from Salt Lady Records...CLICK HERE to order!
- Special FREE MP3 posted on the Audio Page! Download a previously unreleased alternate mix of the song, "I'm A Liar."
- MORE GOOD PRESS FOR INSOMNIACCOMPLISHMENTS
The Minneapolis Star Tribune said about Jonathan's new CD: "Rundman shows plenty of cleverness beyond the album title."
The Onion: AV Club called Jonathan a "clever popster."
MetroMix said: "For music crafted in the dead of night, Rundmans latest batch of tunes feature remarkably bright and sunny melodies."
And author and blogger Daniel Radosh wrote a detailed review of the album, saying "One of my favorite songs on the album, 'Little Bible,' is almost certainly the best alt.country song ever written about the theological flaws of biblical literalism."
- BRAND NEW homemade music video for Jonathan's song "If You Have A Question!" Click here to view on YouTube! Also, Beki Hemingway sings the song "Easy Chair," co-written with Jonathan, on this YouTube video!
- Concert dates are on the calendar for Chicago (with Beki Hemingway), Rock Island, IL, Madison, WI, Eugene, OR, and Seattle, WA. More details here.
- Jonathan's new album available now at the iTunes music store!
- Jonathan's songs featured in CD / Cookbook project!
- Special FREE Christmas MP3 posted on the Audio Page! Download a previously unreleased full-band live recording of an original Christmas Carol, "Bethlehem Tonight."
- Jonathan's new album available now at the iTunes music store!
- Jonathan featured on Lutheran Songs Today compilation CD and songbook! Jonathan's songs "Hey Hey Samuel" and "Glory in the Highest" join other Lutheran hits by great artists like Lost And Found, Echelon, and Richard Bruxvoort-Colligan.
- Hickory Wind Blog has featured Jonathan's first interview regarding the new Insomniaccomplishments CD! Jonathan discusses his appreciation of T-Bone Burnett, the challenges of insomnia, and offers a list of his weirdest gigs.
- Book Jonathan in your town in 2009! Click here to see where Jonathan's travels will take him...maybe your neighborhood is on the way!
- Special FREE MP3 posted on the Audio Page! Download a previously unreleased emerald-anniversary remix of "No More Walls," the first song that Jonathan ever wrote!
- Absolute Power Pop Blog has featured this review of Jonathan's new Insomniaccomplishments CD!
- FREE MP3 posted on the Audio Page! Download an acoustic demo of "If You Have A Question," a song that appears on Jonathan's new CD!
- Super-duper Fall Tour: Jonathan is on the road like crazy this Fall, with dates in WI, IL, MI, ND, NY, MA, TX, OK, and MN! Check the Tour Dates page for details!
- Check out the very first online review of the new Insomniaccomplishments album HERE!
- FREE MP3 new album preview posted on the Audio Page! Download an acoustic demo of "Get Behind The Wheel," a song that appears on Jonathan's new CD!
- Jonathan's song "Forgiveness Waltz" on the new album by THE RIVER'S VOICE!
Acoustic folk duo Richard and Trish Bruxvoort-Colligan have released a new CD of their favorite cover tunes including great songs by Julie Miller, David Wilcox, Paul Simon, Patty Griffin, and yes, Jonathan Rundman! ORDER THE ALBUM HERE!
- Jonathan's song "The Prophetstown Tornado" on the new album by THE RELUCTANTZ!
This bluesy Minneapolis rock group has released their debut album, and they've recorded a smokin' full-band version of Jonathan's song! ORDER THE ALBUM HERE or download the song at the iTunes music store!
- YOU TUBE live version of "Forgiveness Waltz"!
CLICK HERE to watch "Forgiveness Waltz" performed by Jonathan Rundman and Beki Hemingway at a house concert earlier this Summer!
- SUMMER FESTIVAL APPEARANCES:
Jonathan will perform at LiFest in OshKosh, WI, and FinnFest in Duluth, MN in July! Check the tour dates page for Jonathan's complete concert schedule for the Summer and Fall.
- NEW JONATHAN RUNDMAN ALBUM due in July!
Jonathan is finishing up the artwork and audio for his first CD of all new music since 2004's acclaimed Public Library album!
- FREE MP3 new album preview posted on the Audio Page! Download an acoustic demo of "New Eyes," a song that will appear on Jonathan's forthcoming new CD!
- PRESS COVERAGE! Jonathan was featured in a Father's Day story about Daddy bloggers in the Saint Paul Pioneer Press newspaper!
- THE MUCKRAKERS ten year anniversary! It was a decade ago that Salt Lady Records released the debut CD May by the garage/grunge/prog/experimental trio made up of Ishpeming, Michigan natives Todd Berg, David Casimir, and Jonathan Rundman.
The album came out and found a small, devoted following, but the band vanished from the public eye without ever playing a show.
In honor of the album's anniversary, Jonathan and Dave convened in Wisconsin to assemble the first new Muckrakers song since 1998, based around one of Todd's thundering guitar riffs. Hear the new song "Idea One" at the Muckrakers MySpace page.
- FREE MP3 posted on the Audio page! Check out this brand new remix of the Muckrakers song "Box of Nails."
- The Muckrakers MAY album on sale for only $5!
The ALL MUSIC GUIDE calls this album "gloriously raw...crafted in the true rock and roll spirit!"
- FREE MP3 posted at the Audio page! Check out the previously unreleased acoustic demo of "I Got a Problem"! Download it and comment on the song at Jonathan's BLOG.
- Jonathan's song "My Apology" featured on NY Times list of "10 Great Christian Rock Songs. Really." Click on the link to read the list submitted by author Daniel Radosh (see Daniel's new book, below).
Jonathan's song is called "bright, catchy indie-pop" and shares the list with songs by Over The Rhine, Larry Norman, and Bob Dylan!
- Jonathan's song "Xian Bookstore" from the Sound Theology album has been quoted in a brand new book!
New York based journalist Daniel Radosh has written Rapture Ready!: Adventures in the Parallel Universe of Christian Pop Culture.
The author examines the complete weirdness of Contemporary Christian media, music, and marketing, also explored in Jonathan's song "Xian Bookstore."
- THE BEST OF JONATHAN RUNDMAN:
20 SONGS FROM THE 20th CENTURY now at iTunes!
Visit the iTunes Music Store and download your favorite Clinton-era Jonathan songs for only $0.99 each!
- JONATHAN'S FIRST TRIP TO SXSW! That's right, for those of you attending the South By Southwest music festival in Austin, TX, please check out Jonathan's performance on Tuesday, March 11! Jonathan will join twelve amazing artists (including Tom Freund, Jon Dee Graham, Syd Straw, and The Silos!) for the Swollen Circus show at The Hole In The Wall club. This year the show is a tribute to Silos' bassist Drew Glackin (who you know from Jonathan's Public Library album) who died unexpectedly in January.
- Jonathan's song "Front Row at the Fashion Show" featured on the Paste Magazine Sampler CD included in the December '07 / January '08 issue of the magazine!
Jonathan joins other artists such as Jens Lekman, Mindy Smith, and Jars of Clay on this invitiation-only CD sampler!
Check your local newstand in the next week or so!
- BILL MALLONEE of Vigilantes of Love will play a Christmas show in the Twin Cities on December 11th, with Jonathan as the opening act! Details at the TOUR DATES page.
- Book Jonathan and Beki Hemingway in your town! Yes, the amazing Beki Hemingway will be in the Midwest for a few days in January, so here's the rare opportunity to schedule a duet performance in your area on January 11 or 12! If you live within a few hours drive of Minneapolis, and would like to put on a house concert, or coffeehouse gig, or church concert, or whatever, email Jonathan ASAP!
- Jonathan to perform at Gala Celebration of Finland's 90th Anniversary of Independence, December 8th, in Minneapolis.
A variety of Finnish artists will perform. CLICK HERE for ticket and schedule information.
In other Finnish news, Jonathan is also scheduled to appear at Finn-Fest 2008 in Duluth, MN!
- Jonathan's song "Narthex" appears on Out of the Extraordinary benefit CD, in support of Extraordinary Lutheran Ministries!
Jonathan joins long-time musical pals Dakota Road, Amalia Vagts, Agape, and Richard Bruxvoort-Colligan, PLUS bigtime national acts like Indigo Girls and Carrie Newcomer on this album project. Proceeds from the CD sales will help raise awareness and funds to support people of all sexual orientation and gender identities in the life and ministry of the Lutheran church. Song details and purchasing info HERE.
- GREAT REVIEWS POUR IN! The blogosphere has discovered Jonathan's Best of CD! Read excellent reviews at Twangville and Hickory Wind. Also, here's a review from Phantom Tollbooth from October, when Jonathan was the monthly "Writer's Pick" along with Over The Rhine and Mark Olson (Jayhawks)!
- FREE MP3 posted at the Audio page as a musical stocking stuffer! Check out a previously unreleased alternate mix of "Worse For You"! Download it and comment on the song at Jonathan's BLOG.
- Here's some perfect back-to-school music!
THE BEST OF JONATHAN RUNDMAN:
20 SONGS FROM THE 20th CENTURY now available!
The album features tasty remastered and remixed early classics like "Tape," "Armyman," "Janesville," and "This July" as well as some previously unreleased gems! All this PLUS an additional twenty-song BONUS CD called MYOPIA featuring super rare and rocking 4-track demos from the 1990s! CLICK here for full details.
- Another exclusive FREE MP3 has been posted at the Audio page! Time-warp back 11 years and hear the original 4-track demo recording of "The Glasses Song" before it was re-done for the Sound Theology project! Download it and comment on the song at Jonathan's BLOG.
- Book Jonathan in your town! Big tours are on the calendar for the coming year, and if you've never hosted a Jonathan show in your area, here's your chance! An East Coast tour is planned for this November, and 2008 will find Jonathan in California, Texas, Iowa, and all around the Midwest and Great Lakes regions. See the Booking page for available dates and locations.
- FREE MP3 posted at the Audio page! Check out a previously unreleased alternate mix of "Nothing Old, Nothing New"! Download it and comment on the song at Jonathan's BLOG.
- Jonathan to return to LiFest! Jonathan will perform at multiple stages at this huge music festival in Osh Kosh, WI in July! Other bands include Jars of Clay and the Newsboys.
- More good press for Protestant Rock Ethic!
The May 2007 issue of The Lutheran magazine featured a review of the album, comparing Jonathan to Matthew Sweet, Ben Kweller, and Garrison Keillor!
PLUS, the online mag Phantom Tollbooth rated the album 4-out-of-5, and had some nice things to say!
- Jonathan continues as a guest musician with songwriter MICHAEL MORRIS and band. Catch Jonathan (usually) playing accordion, melodica, piano, banjo, and bass with Michael Sunday nights at the 400 BAR in Minneapolis!
- PasteMagazine.com "Music Video of the Day" to feature Jonathan's "You Don't Speak For Me", March 26th! Previous "Video of the Day" bands include Bright Eyes, Billy Bragg, and the Barenaked Ladies!
- Jonathan's BLOG has been relocated to BLOGGER at this address jonathanrundman.blogspot.com. Please visit for commentary on Jonathan's adventures in showbiz, domestic life, etc. Comments are open to all!
- The great press attention for Protestant Rock Ethic continues: check out this album review in a recent issue of Christian Musician.
- Jonathan continues as GUEST MUSICIAN for songwriter Michael Morris playing Tuesday nights at the 400 Bar in Minneapolis. You might see Jonathan playing accordion, melodica, harmonica, and/or banjo!
- MYSPACE OVERHAUL! New songs, slideshows, details, and other goodies have been added to MySpace...check out the pages for Salt Lady Records (featuring a preview of the new re-mix of "Meeting Nixon"), The Styx Tribute Album (featuring Jonathan playing "Come Sail Away"), and Jonathan's 1997 trio project The Muckrakers, as well as Jonathan's own MySpace page.
- More press for Protestant Rock Ethic! Jonathan was interviewed in the current issue of the Youth Encounter newsletter.
- Another FREE MP3 has been posted! This month marks the 10-year-anniversary of the recording of Jonathan's third album Recital, so we're pleased to offer an exclusive remix of the CD's title track! Download it at the AUDIO PAGE.
- Jonathan as GUEST MUSICIAN: this month Jonathan will sit in with the band playing various instruments for Minneapolis-based songwriters Michael Morris and Micah Taylor. Visit their webpages for show details.
- SVEA IRENE RUNDMAN is born on October 15, 2006!
Svea and her Mommy are happy and healthy, and so are Daddy and big brother Paavo. Welcome lovely Svea!
- NEW free MP3 for download! Visit the audio page to hear a previously unreleased LIVE solo-acoustic performance of the song "Tape" recorded at Club Mondo in Stockholm, Sweden during Jonathan's Scandinavian tour earlier this year.
- Good press for Protestant Rock Ethic! Jonathan's new double-CD receives a glowing review from the music blog Music Spectrum!
- "Best of" Jonathan CD in the works! Jonathan has been in the studio for the past month working on remixes of some of his best songs from the pre-Sound Theology era. Contributing to the amazing quality of these tunes is recording and mixing genius Matt Patrick!
- Jonathan Rundman POSTERS for free download!
Visit Jonathan's PRESS KIT page and scroll down to the bottom to choose between three different promotional posters, available for free download in .pdf form! Print 'em out on 11 X 17 or 8.5 X 11 paper and help promote a local Jonathan concert, OR use as a background for a dartboard!
- BRUCE RUNDMAN releases new album Unorthodox.
The Salt Lady Records co-founder has released a special 10-song acoustic album featuring some excellent new songs, stripped-down versions of old faves, and a few choice cover tunes. Cousin Jonathan Rundman co-wrote the included songs "Out The Back," "Continental Divide," "Picture Day," and "Beige Slacks." Click HERE to purchase.
- Jonathan Rundman eSongbook now available!
The complete piano arrangements, guitar chords, and lead sheets for Jonathan's HEARTLAND LITURGY are featured in this CD-ROM songbook, along with sheet music of other songs from the Protestant Rock Ethic, Public Library, and Sound Theology albums!
- More good press! Jonathan's July concert in SA was previewed by the San Antonio Express News! See why they said "Texas does not have a lock on first-class troubadours."
- Jonathan's songs available for licensing! Organizations, bands, and church groups who use Jonathan's music can now purchase licensing permissions online. Click here for online copyright/licensing info!
- Another FREE MP3 has been posted! Way back in 1995 Jonathan wrote this rather bitter and nasty little break-up song and recorded a quick demo of it with The Muckrakers. In 1997 Jonathan tried another demo of it backed by Echelon, but neither of these band demos were sufficient. Finally, on New Years Eve of 2000, in the frozen retreat center at Fortune Lake Camp, Jonathan recorded the definitive version of the song in this acoustic form! Visit the AUDIO page to download "I'll Be Gone."
- EXCLUSIVE LIVE TRACK available on benefit CD!
A previously unreleased live recording of "Librarian" appears on the new compilation CD Haiti Mission Project. Recorded at the Acadia Cafe in Minneapolis with Jonathan's full band, the track offers a especially rocking version of this song. The CD is released by Calvary Lutheran Church in Golden Valley, MN, and features songs by other bands like Lost And Found, Agape, and Echelon. All proceeds go to help provide aid and school supplies for children in Haiti. Click HERE for info.
- Jonathan plays club gigs in Austin and San Antonio, TX! While down South for the ELCA Youth Gathering, Jonathan scheduled additional shows at some cool venues along with other awesome songwriters Zack Hexum, Charlie Paxon, and Brandon Rogers! More info at the Tour Dates page. Minneapolis residents can see Jonathan, Zack, Charlie, and Brandon performing at the 400 Bar for Jonathan's BIRTHDAY SHOW on July 24!
- Jonathan's NEW album PROTESTANT ROCK ETHIC now available!
- PROTESTANT ROCK ETHIC CD RELEASE SHOW! Celebrate the new album at this performance featuring Jonathan and multiple backing musicians, to be held on June 9th in downtown Minneapolis! More info at the Tour Dates page.
- PREVIEW THE NEW CD! Visit Jonathan's Myspace page to hear the song "Were You There?" from the Protestant Rock Ethic album!
- Updated Discography! Click to see check out what recordings Jonathan has appeared on recently!
- Exclusive previously unreleased song available as a FREE MP3! Happy Daylight Saving Time to you all! In honor of this new time of the year, Jonathan has dredged deep into his musical vaults and unearthed one of his weirdest songs Daylight Saving[s] Time, unreleased until now! Ten years ago, Jonathan wrote and recorded (on a cassette 4-track recorder) this bizarre tune. Earlier this week those old tracks were transferred to computer and remixed. Download the song at the Audio Page.
- Visit Jonathan's Myspace Blog to view some of his earliest song lyrics! A song written in 1986, "Bulldozer Slaughter," has been unearthed! It's an inspiring tune.
- "Forgiveness Waltz" recorded by Greg Adkins! Jonathans song Forgiveness Waltz from his album Sound Theology, has previously been recorded by power-vocalist Beki Hemingway and instrumental duo Setterholm/Michelson. Now in 2006, the song has been reinterpreted yet again by Knoxville-based acoustic musician Greg Adkins on his new album The Bluegrass Service. The album also features tunes written by Gillian Welch and Bob Dylan. Gregs version of Waltz is absolutely beautiful...learn more about the album, and purchase the new CD for $12 by visiting Gregs webpage.
- Jonathan to perform with Tom Freund and Zack Hexum! On Jonathan's upcoming Ohio tour he'll share the stage with these excellent musicians from LA who've been making quite a splash in the big-time music industry. Check out these fine artists!
- Jonathan is back from his six month sabbatical, and is looking forward to upcoming performances in WI, IL, OH, and more! Check out the Tour Dates page to see the Spring schedule!
- Did you know that Jonathan played shows in Finland and Sweden back in January? A new FREE MP3 DOWNLOAD of Jonathan's song "Meeting Nixon" has been posted on the Audio Page, recorded live on January 9th, 2006 at Club Mondo in Stockholm, Sweden!
- PRESS COVERAGE: Jonathan's album Public Library has been reviewed at the Finnish online music magazine Noise. Try translating that! An English-language review (with photos) of Jonathan's recent performance at St. Paul's venerable Turf Club is posted at How Was The Show? The reviewer called Jonathan a hybrid of Woody Guthrie and Bryan Adams....hmmm...
- MORE PRESS COVERAGE!
The Minneapolis monthy music magazine RIFT has published a very detailed travel journal from Jonathan's last tour to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Read the online version here, or pick up a copy (eventually) of the March issue of RIFT at these locations.
- Thanks to web-wizard Pat Tomek for the webpage redesign on Valentine's Day!
- Thanks to photo-wizard Ryan Torma for shooting Jonathan's new promotional pictures (seen on this very index page, as well as in the Promotional Photo page.
- More media attention for "THE GLASSES SONG!"
Yes, once again this song from Sound Theology has been discovered by the global media. This time, it's been licensed for use in a British documentary film called "Specky" about the challenges of wearing corrective lenses! Stay tuned for more info about the film's release!
Fall 2005 Mid-sabbatical update:
- JONATHAN'S ON NATIONAL TELEVISION!
In October Jonathan's music was featured on the Ellen Degeneres Show! "The Glasses Song" (from Sound Theology) was used as thematic music for a comedy skit called "Ellen Goes to Lenscrafters."
- Another FREE MP3 has been posted! Way back in 1997 Jonathan wrote a frantic minor-key bluegrass tune and arranged it with his cousin Bruce. Finally, a few weeks ago, Jonathan and Bruce have recorded the definitive version of the song! Visit the AUDIO page to download "The Sound of the Cicadas."
- New pix in the PHOTO pages: Check out these shots from Jonathan's last full-band pre-sabbatical show in Minneapolis, PLUS brand new pix of Jonathan and his cousin Bruce in the studio!
- Sabbatical reflections and the lyrics to the above-mentioned "Cicadas" song can be found on Jonathan's BLOG.
- JONATHAN RUNDMAN GOES ON SABBATICAL!On July 20th, 2005, his 34th birthday, Jonathan Rundman has announced that for the remainder of the year he will be on sabbatical. No shows, no web updates, no tours. Jonathan looks forward to spending time at home with his sweetie Dawn, and their son Paavo. Click on the photo for a large picture of Paavo.
- Jonathan's MySpace BLOG will continue to be updated with various observations on life away from showbiz. Check it out, make your own comments, and join Jonathan on his sabbatical journey.
- Jonathan is pleased to be a featured performer on many new CDs from a variety of artists. He plays banjo, mandolin, and sings on the new album Pronto by the acoustic duo Lost And Found. Jonathan adds Hammond organ and Wurlitzer electric piano to the forthcoming new CD by power vocalist Rachel Kurtz. The new album Don't Hesitate by Madison, WI band The Pull features the song "Time To Go" co-written by Jonathan. And Jonathan sang on the song "Reliving the Past" by Chicago-based prog-rock collective 9 On Bali, to be released soon as a vinyl single!
- More national press for Public Library!The brand new June issue of Performing Songwriter (with the lovely Aimee Mann on the cover) features a Top 12 DIY review of Jonathan's new CD! Among other niceness, the review states "Rundman's lyrics paint vivid pictures," and celebrates Jonathan's "clever phrasing and fresh rhymes." Read more of the review on the press page and pick up the issue at your local newsstand!
- Check out Jonathan's new page on MySpace! The site features additional info about Jonathan's music, plus his first attempt at BLOGGING!
- Even more national press! Link here for a brief review in the current issue of Christian Century.
- This month's FREE MP3 is a live recording featuring Jonathan and the amazing Beki Hemingway. Download an acoustic performance of the song "You Never Last Where You Land" at the audio page! The original version of this song is found on the duet album Tennesota, which was released exactly one year ago!
- Jonathan continues in the studio, working on previously unreleased songs from the past, as well as two brand new tunes, "Calm the Storm" and "Miracle Song" commissioned by Augsburg Fortress Publishers. Multiple new albums are in the works!
- Sound Theology has just been added to the iTunes Music Store! Download your favorite tunes for only $0.99 per song!
- Jonathan performs with Tom Freund! These two songwriters kicked off the month of May with their first joint appearance, held at the lovely Acadia Cafe in Minneapolis. It was an excellent show, and it was captured on audio!
- This month's FREE MP3 is taken from Jonathan's show with Tom. Check out the rarely-performed song "Cold, But I Don't Mind" at the audio page!
- This Spring, Jonathan has spent some time in the studio working with engineer Scott Malchow on completing some previously unreleased tunes. Recent finalized mixes include some guitar-heavy prog-influenced songs entitled "I Saw Greenland" and "There Was Nothing Downtown" and a very experimental 1995-era 4-track recording called "Soluble" featuring Jonathan on distorto-violin. Watch for their inclusion on an upcoming release.
- Goin' back to Cali. Jonathan will perform in the Golden State twice in the next couple months, as well as some Midwestern shows. Check out the tour date page for the entire schedule.
- Bad press and good press! Check out new reviews of Public Library courtesy of Epinions, Buffalo Roots, and the San Antonio Current.
- Jonathan Rundman song lyric icons have been created by Bridget in Louisiana for free download. Use 'em on your blogs, webpages, on-line journals, etc.
- Jonathan tours with the MONSTERS OF FOLK! Together with fellow Twin Cities songwriters Matt Patrick, Nate Houge, and Micah Taylor, Jonathan ventured into the depths of South Dakota on a 5 day tour in March. Each musician performed their original songs on the tour, all while switching around on guitar, bass, and drums, and serving as one another's backing band! A photo slideshow, tour diary, and downloadable MP3s can be found on the Monsters of Folk Webpage. The tour was so awesome, the quartet will reunite for another show in Maple Grove, MN on Friday, April 15th. See tour date page for more info.
- This month's FREE MP3 is taken from the Monsters of Folk tour! Check out the live performance of Jonathan's song "Every Town's the Same" (with lengthy introduction), recorded at the Black Sheep Coffeehouse in Sioux Falls, SD. Get it now via the audio page!
- Jonathan makes his debut as an author!
Augsburg Fortress Publishers has just released The Lutheran Handbook, a comedy/theology manual written in the droll, retro style of the Worst-Case Scenario Survival Guide. Jonathan wrote numerous chapters of the book including "How to Sing a Hymn," and "How to Receive Communion." Order a copy from Augsburg Fortress!
- Tennesota album added to iTunes music store! Visit the store and download each song for $0.99!
- Pitch Music in California has just released Myrtle's Favorites Sampler CD featuring the finest in independent songwriters. Jonathan Rundman's song "Smart Girls" and Beki Hemingway's song "Saturday" appear, as well as 17 other fine tunes from various artists. SPECIAL DEAL: Buy $10 worth of music from Jonathan Rundman, and get a FREE Myrtle's Favorites Sampler courtesy of Salt Lady Records!
- Public Library reviewed at Music Box Online.
- Jonathan to embark on the MONSTERS OF FOLK tour! Together with Minnesota songwriters Matt Patrick, Nate Houge, and Micah Taylor, Jonathan is preparing for a group tour to South Dakota in March! Each artist on the tour will play his original songs with the other three musicians serving as a back-up band, requiring each performer to rotate on guitar, bass, drums, and auxiliary instruments! That's FOUR bands in one! Check the tour dates page for complete venue info, etc.
- Jonathan is featured in the February issue of Mpls/St.Paul Magazine! The article raves, In his latest album, Public Library, Rundman is at his best...cohesive, yet adventurous and varied.
- One of the coolest unreleased Jonathan recordings of all time is now available as a FREE MP3, downloadable on the Audio page! For those of you who are observing the season of Lent (or Black History Month, for that matter), check out Jonathan's arrangement of the African-American Spiritual "Were You There." Yet another Sound Theology out-take from the Fall of 1999, this recording was renovated and mixed in 2004.
- Coast-to-coast tour dates in 2005! Visit the tour dates page and check out Jonathan's upcoming shows in LA, NY and places in between!
PUBLIC LIBRARY ranked in theTop 10 albums of 2004!
More and more and more good press! Read these reviews courtesy of Metro Lutheran, Swiss Records (written in German!), and City Pages. Also, the St. Paul Pioneer Press ranked Public Library #15 in their best albums of 2004 list, and the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that Jonathan's song "The Serious Kind" showed up on two separate critics' polls for Best Song of 2004!
- Yet another FREE MP3 has been posted on the Audio page! Due to the huge response to last month's ancient hymn "Of the Father's Love Begotten," we're posting another Sound Theology out-take! This time it's a 600-year-old Epiphany tune, arranged by Jonathan in homage to R.E.M.'s late-80s classic "Swan Swan H."
- Salt Lady Records is TEN YEARS OLD this month! That's right, it was December of 1994 when the upstart record label debuted two new albums: Seven Summers by The Chandlers (Bruce & Jonathan Rundman), and Wherever by Jonathan Rundman. Take part in the anniversary festivities by visiting the Salt Lady Records webpage, and check out old pictures of the Rundman cousins, a photo history of the label, and more!
- Last chance for Wherever! Yes, after 10 years on the market, Jonathan's 1994 album is going out of print. There are less than 10 copies remaining!
- Not two, but THREE FREE MP3s have been posted on the Audio page! This month we're looking back at Jonathan & Bruce's music then and now, with a remix of The Chandlers' "Busted Pencil Lead" and a brand new full-band recording of "Continental Divide." Plus, download a special acapella mix of an unreleased Jonathan song from 2000 entitled "December Chicago" that's perfect for these chilly Midwestern winters!
- Many of you know John Kerns thanks to his fantasic bass playing and harmony vocals in Jonathan Rundman's trio, and on select recordings (including the version of "Continental Divide" mentioned above). Kerns has a brand new webpage for his own band Kerns and The Hemispheres...surf over and check it out!
- Jonathan's song "Smart Girls" is featured on the CD sampler included in the Oct/Nov 2004 issue of Paste Magazine. Order it NOW from Paste! Other artists on the sampler include Buddy Miller, Ben Harper, Peter Case, and Camper Van Beethoven.
- Two free downloadable MP3s have been added to the Audio page. These special holiday tunes are only available here! Check out the rocking live performance of Jonathan's Christmas classic "Out Behind the Old Hotel" recorded in concert at Augsburg College, PLUS hear the rare Sound Theology out-take "Of the Father's Love Begotten" written in the 13th century! Happy Advent!
- New Jonathan song available! Jonathan has recorded a rocking bluegrass version of the African-American spiritual "Where You There" that appears on a new Hymns compilation CD released by Lutheran Youth Encounter. Other artists doing hymn interpretations include Beki Hemingway, Todd Miller, Lloyd Garrelts, and Lost And Found.
- Jonathan as guest musician! Composer extraordinaire Richard Bruxvoort-Colligan has released a new album called Worldmaking, featuring Jonathan Rundman on accordion, chord organ, and vocals. Paavo Rundman makes his first recorded appearance on this album as well.
- Jonathan on film! Two new independent short documentary films feature Jonathan and his music. The System of Cool, directed by Jaime Leigh Nelson, explores trends in the music business and features an interview with Jonathan, as well as live clips of Jonathan performing his songs "The Serious Kind," and "Falling Down." Threatening to Stay, directed by Amy Carlson and Jaqueline Brady addresses the struggle of homosexuality in the Lutheran Church, and features Jonathan's song "Easier" on the film's soundtrack. The debut screening of Threatening to Stay will be in DeKalb, IL on December 5th.
- The Public Library CD release weekend was a huge success! Jonathan opened for The Silos, and also played two other concerts in Minneapolis. Check out PHOTOS of the shows.
- Another free downloadable MP3 has been posted on the Audio page! Listen to a pre-Public Library demo version of the song "Narthex."
- Great reviews for Public Library have been pouring in! Check out the on-line press coverage at OnMilwaukee.com, City Pages, Pulse, Green Man Review, Rake on Music, Power of Pop, Fufkin, and Melodic.net.
- Jonathan has scheduled a long-awaited multi-date tour of Michigan's Upper Peninsula! Check out the November tour dates.
- Public Library CD release show scheduled for Saturday, October 2nd at the 400 Bar in Minneapolis! Jonathan opens for The Silos!
- Another free downloadable MP3 has been posted on the Audio page! Check out this remix of the 10-year-old recording of "Old Man September."
- Jonathan on iTunes! That's right, the previously out-of-print Christmas EP Present, recorded with Beki Hemingway, is the first Salt Lady Records title available from the iTunes Music Store! It's never too early to add to your holiday music collection!
- Pastemusic.com features Jonathan's new CDs Public Library and Tennesota, PLUS free downloadable MP3s from each album!
- Jonathan has just returned from playing music with Echelon in Orlando, Florida. A review of their performances has been posted at Music Spectrum.
- Jonathan on DVD! Acoustic duo Lost And Found has released their first DVD, featuring a live-in-the-studio video of their song "Multiply" featuring Jonathan Rundman playing banjo! Details HERE.
- New pictures have been added to the promotional photos page. Check out Jonathan's updated shots.
- Tennesota has been reviewed on the Phantom Tollbooth webpage...4.5 stars!
- Thanks to web-wizard Pat Tomek for creating the new flash animation on the front page of this web site!
- Jonathan's new album Public Library is available for sale! CLICK HERE to order.
- Also available for sale, the new album Tennesota by Jonathan & Beki Hemingway! CLICK HERE to order.
- Dozens of cool photos have been posted, documenting the recording of the Public Library album. CLICK HERE to visit the updated photo page!
- Free Public Library preview! Visit the Audio page to download a previously un-heard acoustic demo of "Librarian," the new album's title track.
- Jonathan's Midwestern Summer tour dates are now posted!
- It's been four years since the release of Sound Theology, Jonathan's last solo album, so we're thrilled to announce that his long-awaited NEW ALBUM Public Library is complete! The songs were produced by Americana legend Walter Salas-Humara, and feature THE SILOS as Jonathan's backing band! Pre-release copies of the album will be available at all Summer tour performances!
- Jonathan appears along with The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Talking Heads, and other groups on the recording "Anticipation" by sonic-collage artist Daniel Levitin. The track appears on the album A Call For Silence, a compilation of not-quite-sound recordings released by the Sonic Arts Network. "Anticipation" is a collection of recorded count-offs (you know, when the drummer goes "1, 2, 3, 4..." before the music starts?) featuring the introductory yells from The Beatles' "Yer Blues," the famous cowbell hits from The Rolling Stones' "Honkey Tonk Women," Jonathan's voice counting-off the song "Front Row at the Fashion Show" from the album Recital, plus other interesting pre-song noise. You've never heard (or almost heard) an album like this before!
- Yes, one more previously un-heard Jonathan recording is available for FREE downloading in MP3 format on the Audio page, and this time it's a 1997-era Beatle-esque cover tune called "Now That You Are Gone." Music nerds take note: a complete description of Jonathan's recording of the song is posted.
- Another previously un-heard Jonathan recording is now available for FREE downloading in MP3 format on the Audio page. Enjoy this rocking full-band performance of "The Prophetstown Tornado" recorded LIVE at Augsburg College in Minneapolis, featuring Jonathan singing through a telephone receiver.
- Jonathan has been in the studio playing Wurlitzer, organ, and singing harmony on the new solo album by Lloyd Garrelts. The CD will be available later this month, and features the song "Same Square Mile," the first song co-written by Lloyd and Jonathan! For more information visit the homepage of Lloyd's band Echelon.
- Jonathan's complete Discography has been updated. How many of these CDs have you heard?
- Previously un-heard Jonathan recordings are now available for FREE downloading in MP3 format on the Audio page. Check out the anti-Clapton anthem "Sick of Eric Blues" and a new remix of "One Night in the Month of May" by Jonathan's basementy grunge/prog/lo-fi trio The Muckrakers.
- Jonathan Rundman and Beki Hemingway have been booked to play at Cornerstone Festival in Bushnell, IL this coming July! Check out the details at the Tour Dates page.
- After taking a few months off for the birth of Paavo, Jonathan looks forward to Spring and Summer performances in the Pacific Northwest, Chicagoland, and Florida. Visit the Booking page to schedule a show in your town.
- Sound Theology songs are analyzed by Pastor Ben Squires every Monday in the season of Lent. Check out Ben's comments and leave some of your own by visiting his Monday Devotions Blog.
- Jonathan becomes a FATHER! On January 2nd Dawn & Jonathan Rundman celebrated the birth of their first child, a son! His name is Paavo Sten Rundman. PAAVO is the Finnish form of Paul, and STEN is Dawn's family name from Sweden.
- Jonathan's debut album REISSUED on CD! In late-1992 Jonathan released on cassette his first album 28 Days in the Yellow Room, a rollicking 10-song 4-track capsule of his formative musical years. Now Salt Lady Records has released the album on CD, completely remastered and with FOURTEEN NEVER-BEFORE-HEARD BONUS TRACKS from Jonathan's earliest days as a musician. The new release is called Eleven Years and 28 Days in the Yellow Room. Click here to learn more and click here to order a copy of the album.
- Jonathan completes the remixes for the CD reissue of his debut album 28 Days in the Yellow Room to be available next month!
- The PRESS section for this webpage is updated!
- The tracking is completed for Jonathan's new album! Producer Walter Salas-Humara records the final tracks for the album in New York City, featuring special guests Mary Lee Kortes on vocals, Mary Rowell scoring and playing a string quartet, and lead guitarist Jason Victor of Steve Wynn's band.
- Salt Lady Records is pround to announce the launch of jonathanrundman.com, Jonathan's new website, built by Pat Tomek.
- Jonathan has completed the recording of his newest album, and producer Walter Salas-Humara is working on the final mixes of the songs in New York City. The CD is scheduled for release in Spring/Summer of 2004. Check out the RECORDING SESSION DIARY, featuring photos and details of the album's creation!
- Two of Jonathan’s songs are featured on college compilation CD Free As Grace. Other artists on the album include Beki Hemingway, Todd Miller, Nate Houge, and Lost And Found.
- Jonathan and Dawn Rundman are becoming parents!
Yes, that's right, in January of 2004 the Rundmans are expecting baby #1! Jonathan has decided to be a stay-at-home-Dad once the kid arrives, so this Falls schedule of recording and touring will be extra exciting. These are Jonathans last few months as a traveling musician, so he has scheduled one more long-term solo road trip in a rental car . Jonathan tours in MN, WI, MI, IN, OH, PA, NJ, CT, NH, VT, NY, and spends a week recording new music in New York City!
- Jonathan begins recording new album in Madison, WI, with The Silos.
- Jonathan co-produces and engineers the album True North by cousin Bruce Rundman. The 12-song CD features “Nancy Drew,” “Liberty Island,” and “Quiet Sound,” co-written by Jonathan, and Jonathan can be heard playing bass guitar, Hammond organ, and singing harmony vocals throughout the album.
- JONATHAN'S NEW ALBUM RELEASED!